Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Caf's Mexican Rice with Chicken Fingers!

So I finally found time to blog again. And of course, the first thing I'm going to blog about is food. I felt like eating something tomato-ey and herb-y but still rice-y. So Mexican Rice it was :P

I haven't cooked in ages so I was ecstatic when I found out how simple it was to make. Just some ingredients almost everyone of any culture has in their pantry/fridge and you can throw together some yummy orange rice. It turned out well, considering I've cooked a proper dinner about once in my lifetime. xD

THE RECIPE

What you'll need:
  1. 1 tbsp olive oil (great for your skin, fantastic for your arteries!)
  2. 1 cup medium or long-grain rice
  3. 1 cup chicken liquid stock (or a cup of water, a teaspoon of salt and half a tablespoon of powdered chicken stock)
  4. 1/2 an onion, finely chopped
  5. 1 clove garlic, minced
  6. 1/2 bell pepper (any colour; optional)
  7. 1/2 a medium-sized tomato, diced (optional--I know many of you dislike tomatoes and bell peppers!)
  8. 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of tomato sauce or tomato paste (you can add more or less according to your preference)
  9. A pinch (around 1/4 tsp) oregano (dried or chopped)
  10. A pinch of parsley (dried or chopped)

3 breaded chicken strips--I cheated on this one, haha.

What to do:
  1. In a skillet (or wok xD), brown the garlic and onions in olive oil. Add the rice and brown that, stirring constantly, for about four minutes or until the onion is soft. This process adds a nutty, rustic flavour to the rice. Set aside.

  2. In a saucepan (or wok! :D), bring the chicken stock to a simmer. (Or heat up water and then add salt+powdered stock.) Add the tomato paste/sauce, tomato, bell pepper, oregano, parsley, and a dash of salt. (A dash=roughly a teaspoon. Don't add more salt if you want to eat less sodium!) Bring back up to a simmer and add the browned rice/onion/garlic mixture. Cover and let the rice cook for 15 to 25 minutes.

  3. You may want to open it up and stir the rice occasionally (every three minutes) to make sure it doesn't burn. Personally, I like my rice a little dry and a little crispy but I'm sure there are many people who dislike a few hard grains of overcooked rice.

  4. As the rice is cooking, place the chicken fingers/strips in the oven or toaster oven at a toasty 425 degrees Farenheit. (Oh shush, I know I'm Canadian but I see Imperial measurements EVERYWHEREEE.) Let them bake for 15 to 20 minutes, depending on how dry you like them and your oven's power. Flip after ten minutes.

  5. When complete, plate the chicken on the rice and serve! :D


Now, back to my journal-ing.

I finally finished my speech for English! And jeez, Grade 12 this year is a pain. But at least Ms. Mo marks easier than Mr. Hulme! xD

I've decided to do a eulogy. You'll find out how I've decided to do it at my presentation. Hmm.. math test tomorrow... Ugh. I guess now I'll finish eating and go study.

0 comments: